Subcommitee on Core Curriculum Minutes 2012-10-10


A. Kay Anderson

Recorder Email: 
Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Date of Next Meeting: 
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 12:00pm
Location of Next Meeting: 

A&S 2-16

Subcommittee on the Core Curriculum
Minutes Text: 

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by John Swinton at 12 noon in Arts & Sciences Room 216.


Members Present: Martha Allen, Scott Butler, Kevin Crabb, Esther Lopez, Mary Magoulick, Amy Sumpter, John Swinton and Kay Anderson
Absent: Cara Meade, Stephanie McClure
Guest: Jason Huffman

Approval of Minutes

The minutes from the October 3, 2012 meeting were approved as submitted.

Action Items

GC2Y 2000 Ten Plants as an Area B2 Section (Resubmission)
This revision was reviewed by the committee on October 4 via email and approved. This section will now be forwarded to CAPC and University Senate as an information item.

GC2Y 2000 Theatre as Social Change as an Area B2 Section
After review, the committee recommended that several of the course outcomes be revised to show how the course would fulfill the outcomes for the area, and to ensure that each of the outcomes is assessable. John Swinton will serve as the committee liaison to facilitate the revision.

Discussion Items

GC1Y and GC2Y Proposal Documents. The documents outlining the steps involved in proposing a GC1Y and GC2Y courses are complete. John will send them out to all the department chairs and deans.

Follow Up from CAPC Meeting. The proposal to include the courses from the International Plan was shared with CAPC at its last meeting. CAPC requested that SoCC ensure that the outcomes for each of the International Plan were mapped to global overlay requirements, and that each of the department chairs were given the option to include or not include their courses in the plan. The proposal to use study abroad experience as one global overlay was also presented to CAPC, and that idea was well received. John will start the paperwork to ensure that the recommendations are forwarded and documented appropriately.

Global Overlay Change. Kay will draft a proposal to change the distribution of global overlay courses to discuss at the next meeting.

Next Meeting

The committee will meet on Wednesday, October 17, 2012, at 12 noon, in A&S 216.


The committee adjourned at 1:05 p.m.

Action Items: 
Tentative Agenda: