Subcommittee on Core Curriculum Minutes 2012-08-29


A. Kay Anderson

Recorder Email: 
Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Date of Next Meeting: 
Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 12:00pm
Location of Next Meeting: 

A&S 216

Subcommittee on the Core Curriculum
Minutes Text: 

Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by John Swinton at 12 noon in Arts & Sciences Room 236.

Members Present: Martha Allen, Scott Butler, Kevin Crabb, Esther Lopez, Mary Magoulick, Cara Meade, Stephanie McClure, Amy Sumpter, John Swinton, and Kay Anderson

Action Item
GC2Y 2000 Politics, Comics, and the Graphic Novel as an Area B2 Section (Resubmission)
Upon review, the committee approved the revised proposal with a vote of 9-0-0. This section will now be forward to CAPC and University Senate as an information item.

NRSG 3560 Community as Client and NRSG 4660 Community and Population Based Care for the Global Overlay
The committee voiced concerns that the course outcomes presented in these two proposals did not adequately align with the outcome for the overlay. Specifically, the proposals did not appear to address how students would evaluate diverse responses of peoples to global issues. Additionally, the committee requested that the outcomes include language that clarifies that the course will address a variety of perspectives. These proposals will be returned to the submitters for revision. Scott Butler will serve as a contact if the department has additional questions or desires assistance with revision.

WMST 2010 Women in Society: An Introduction to Women’s Studies for Area E and the Global Overlay
During review, the committee requested some revisions to the outcomes for the global overlay to facilitate future assessment and review. Initial concerns about the Area E proposal included whether or not this course would always address the social scientific method. The global overlay will be returned to the submitter for revision, and the Area E proposal will be discussed at the next meeting.

Discussion Items

The committee needs to update our information on the Provost’s Web Site and minutes web site. John Swinton and Kay Anderson will work together on this project.

The committee needs to address issues related to the global overlay requirement. Because of the state-wide transfer requirements, transfer students who are core complete will not be able to fulfill the requirement to have two global overlays in the core. Students who transfer credit but who are not core complete may also have issues based on the availability of global overlay courses in their remaining coursework. This will be a discussion topic at the next meeting.

Next Meeting

The committee will meet on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at 11:30 a.m., in A&S 216.


The committee adjourned at 1:00 p.m.

Action Items: 
Tentative Agenda: